Sign in to follow this  
Joop de Boer

Update, new gameplay

Joop de Boer    17

The good: the graphics are cool. The league pack is looks like a good idea. Performance improvements are always welcome.

The bad: I know learning new ways is hard, but after a few matches I am not enthusiastic about the new gameplay. If I taste the reactions in my club, excuse me, league, more (most, maybe even all?) players think this way.

To summarise in one sentence: I do not like how the new tackling and shooting interrupts the flow of the game. When tackling, everything slows down. When shooting (or being shot at), everthing stops. I preferred the old system, where everything kept on moving, and where in a higher Arena everything went faster. It used to be more like real soccer, in a way...

I'll try it a little longer, to see if I can adjust.

Regards, Joop

• Like 2

The shot needle and the challenge bars slow down gameplay, interrupt the flow of the game, and generally make the whole experience less enjoyable. They make it feel less like football and more like a 1980's  era football video game.

the improved graphics i definitely like. the doubletap-passing is kind-of cool too. unfortunately the stuff i don't like is currently outweighing the stuff i do like. ah well, the game goes on.

Edited by SM Support(Alex)
**Edit by Moderator - Merged from separate post**

Thanks for providing constructive feedback on the latest changes. And giving it the time to understand the new systems before jumping right in with complaints. This is much appreciated!

Please allow me to elaborate on some of the reasons behind the changes. And cover some future additions that may help clarify the direction we are looking to move in. 

The old system relied solely on unlocking and leveling up the best players in the game. While this seems an obvious goal to any game, we felt it lacked the hook to keep players going once they had reached the top. 

Essentially we are looking to make the game a more tactical experience. One that requires more thought and better utilisation of the full card collection.

We feel that the use of abilities is now brought to the forefront of the game in this new system. This makes decision making before the game far more important. Emphasising squad roles in specific formations and encouraging more experimentation with a variety of tactics and line ups.  

If you have noticed on the Squad page and the Manager Level screen(click the star on the top left of the screen) there are references to substitutes and ability usage. These are features currently being worked on this will provide an opportunity to change tactics during the game to counter an opponents set up or enhance your position of dominance.  

As some of our most active users we do appreciate your opinions and would be grateful if you could provide your opinions on the more tactical direction of the game, 

thank you for the very thoughtful reply alex. it's definitely a good idea to have more tactics, strategy and management involved. i guess for me the biggest hook has always been the real-time feel of the game, which made the experience feel more like real football. i wonder if the strategic aspects could be planned ahead of time like SMW, so you don't have to have play stoppages while you make strategic decisions.

Chryo    5

Hi!

I understand what's your objective, and games are more closed know, so you're on the right way. But I've to say that we're going To lost many active players in my league... a lot of people don't like this update...

With this update: 

- best cards are too much advantaged in duels... for Ball possession  (best dribblers or best tacklers)

- with a bad connection, shoot is impossible...

- games are larger than ever... game need more time...

Good luck

• Like 1

after some more gameplay, a few additional thoughts:

1. the biggest plus about the update has been better balance between the value of different stats and abilities. in the old version speed was king and ultimate dribble combined with rocket shot practically guaranteed a goal. the update gave more value to strength and tackling, and i think that's good from a strategy viewpoint. now there's a good reason to use players who are slower but stronger, and that makes the strategy more interesting.

2. the biggest loss from the old version is slide tackle. beside being an interesting tactical decision and speeding up gameplay, it was just plain fun to have players dive into tackles, even if they missed horribly and got scored on. if i were the developers i would seriously consider bringing slide tackles back. the point of the game is fun, and slide tackles were fun. i miss them!

3. the worst and most frustrating addition of the update is the shot needle. it has nothing to do with football strategy and as chryo mentioned it is very dependent on the quality of your internet connection and mobile device. i seriously recommend either going back to the old system, or coming up with something entirely different that is based on strategy instead of finger speed.

more thoughts to come.

• Like 2

Chryo    5
On Fri Mar 24 2017 at 3:47 PM, newyorkpoet22 said:

after some more gameplay, a few additional thoughts:

1. the biggest plus about the update has been better balance between the value of different stats and abilities. in the old version speed was king and ultimate dribble combined with rocket shot practically guaranteed a goal. the update gave more value to strength and tackling, and i think that's good from a strategy viewpoint. now there's a good reason to use players who are slower but stronger, and that makes the strategy more interesting.

2. the biggest loss from the old version is slide tackle. beside being an interesting tactical decision and speeding up gameplay, it was just plain fun to have players dive into tackles, even if they missed horribly and got scored on. if i were the developers i would seriously consider bringing slide tackles back. the point of the game is fun, and slide tackles were fun. i miss them!

3. the worst and most frustrating addition of the update is the shot needle. it has nothing to do with football strategy and as chryo mentioned it is very dependent on the quality of your internet connection and mobile device. i seriously recommend either going back to the old system, or coming up with something entirely different that is based on strategy instead of finger speed.

more thoughts to come.

I agree 

i've been thinking about what would be a more strategic way to manage shooting. the game seems to be going more toward RPG strategy style, so one idea i brainstormed is each player could get options for what the shooter and keeper do. for example, shooter can aim left, aim right, blast or chip, keeper can rush, block, cheat left or cheat right. depending also on the distance and angle of the shot, each option can have one counter that increases chances of a goal, one that decreases chances, two that depend mostly on the quality of the shooter and keeper. and maybe a randomizer if someone doesn't choose fast enough.

• Like 1

just played again yesterday and today after a long hiatus. the gameplay seems a bit more streamlined - not as much lag, so i was able to hit the target sometimes. also, it seems like the challenges are more realistic now.  i'm not sure whether or not this is the case, but it seems like the tackle is more effective if the challenge occurs near another defender or the keeper.  if so, well done!

on the negative side, i still hate the "swing-o-meter" with a passion, and as far as i can tell there's nobody left in 'foobar' who still plays. after the major update the whole club/league community sort-of disintegrated. the game is still not bad at all...  i think you guys (developers) just didn't realize quite how good it was before. the speed, simplicity , and limitless play  used to make it even more fun than fifa mobile.

JL

• Like 1

Thanks for your continued feedback through out the development process. We have put a lot of effort into improving the match experience, so we're glad you noticed. 

It fills me with joy that we have managed to win you round in spite of the swing-o-meter (even if it's only to "not bad at all"). While the original control scheme was indeed fun, we do still feel that, for our target audience and the slice of market we are aiming at, it is the correct choice. 

We believe the community will now build back up as the game is live and growing quickly. So it might be worth removing some of the members who you know no longer play in order to reinvigorate the League.

glad to help and wishing you a successful launch.

what's your target market though, people who miss tecmo bowl from the 80's? which is to say, the swingometer is still rubbish and still has nothing to do with football.

here's a suggestion for inactives: players who haven't logged in within the last 4 weeks automatically leave their league and go dormant. thoughts?

JL

We have an automated function to remove and replace League Presidents after a period of inactivity. The expectation is that the Presidents and Vice Presidents would curate their own leagues, promoting those who deserve it, then both Presidents and VPs can kick inactive players in order to reinvigorate the League.

On 5/15/2017 at 6:22 PM, newyorkpoet22 said:

here's a suggestion for inactives: players who haven't logged in within the last 4 weeks automatically leave their league and go dormant. thoughts?

so... if i promote everybody to vice president, anyone inactive will be removed? it would be nice if that option were available for all members.

Edited by newyorkpoet22

It is only the President who will face removal for inactivity.

Vice Presidents have the ability to kick normal Members, So active VPs can help you, as President, manage the members. Vice Presidents cannot demote another VP so it is up to you to manage the VPs. This ensures the hierarchy are active. 

League pack contributions and donation amounts are good ways to monitor activity of members.

Gorse H    2

I don't know when these posts are from but this game is great and each new update has changed the way players have to play the game, the keeper update was the biggest change as it meant more football was needed to be played to score whereas before it i was scoring from half way line with ease.

I would like to see introduced to the game...

1. Prizes for top spots in the leaderboard, you could do  something like blue pack for top spot, green pack for 2nd and 3rd, gold packs for 4-10th places and silver packs for 11-25th. it would make it more appealing and competitive as players would try get as high up the leaderboard as possible and even get number 1 

2. Tournaments, The possibilities with these are endless... something easy like certain trophies or arena level to enter certain tournaments or even things like green card only tournaments and blue card only and so on. so basically tournaments which have requirements before you can enter them

The new arena idea is great too and i expect it might bring a host of new players added to the game...

Are any the things i've mentioned being talked about for getting introduced to the game>??